Welcome to Tigersue's Jungle. Here you may find a Jungle of thoughts and idea's. You may never know what you will find!
Yes, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints! I am a wife, a mother, a sister, and a friend.

Monday, January 11, 2010

Nurture Through Compassionate Service. Visiting Teaching lesson December 2009

I went visiting teaching very early last month. I mean very early! I knew if I didn't get it done it wouldn't get done before the month really got crazy with Christmas shopping, the frantic push to finish Abbie's sock, school concerts and programs, and parties.

When I first saw the article my first thoughts were another one on Charity it should be okay. For many years from the time I was in highschool charity has been one of my favorite topics. I'm not perfect at it but I really, really try to at least make my thoughts more charitable. It can be hard as you all know and a constant test and battle for me.

Anyway, I wanted to share last month the quotes that touched me the most as I prepared the lesson and discussion for the sisters I visited. I am also amazed that my dear mother loved the same quotes I did, and my own visiting teachers shared the same quotes when they came to see me. Honestly they were and are some of the best statements on compassionate service and charity that I have read besides the discourse in Moroni 7, which to this day is my favorite set of verses on charity and faith.

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Second Counselor in the First Presidency: “Disciples of Christ throughout all ages of the world have been distinguished by their compassion. … In the end, the number of prayers we say may contribute to our happiness, but the number of prayers we answer may be of even greater importance. Let us open our eyes and see the heavy hearts, notice the loneliness and despair; let us feel the silent prayers of others around us, and let us be an instrument in the hands of the Lord to answer those prayers” (“Happiness, Your Heritage,” Liahona and Ensign, Nov. 2008, 119, 120).

Barbara Thompson, second counselor in the Relief Society general presidency: “We need to rescue ‘all that is finest down deep inside of [us]’ so that as daughters of God we can do our part to build the kingdom of God. We will have help to do this. As Joseph declared, ‘If you live up to your privileges, the angels cannot be restrained from being your associates.’“Let us bear one another’s burdens, mourn with those who mourn, comfort those who stand in need of comfort, and thus keep the covenants we have made. (“Now Let Us Rejoice,” Liahona and Ensign,Nov. 2008, 116).

Elder Russell M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles: “The Good Shepherd said, ‘Feed my lambs.’ (John 21:15.) So a woman feeds her loved ones, providing succor and sustenance just as the Savior would do. Her divine gift is to nurture, to help the young, to care for the poor, to lift the brokenhearted.“The Lord said, ‘My work and my glory [is] to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.’ (Moses 1:39.) So His devoted daughter-disciple may truly say, ‘My work and my glory is to help my loved ones reach that heavenly goal.’“To help another human being reach one’s celestial potential is part of the divine mission of woman. As mother, teacher, or nurturing saint, she molds living clay to the shape of her hopes. In partnership with God, her divine mission is to help spirits live and souls be lifted. This is the measure of her creation. It is ennobling, edifying, and exalting” (“Woman—Of Infinite Worth,” Ensign, Nov. 1989, 22)

No comments: