Welcome to Tigersue's Jungle. Here you may find a Jungle of thoughts and idea's. You may never know what you will find!
Yes, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints! I am a wife, a mother, a sister, and a friend.

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Prayer of Thanksgiving

We gather together to ask the Lord's blessing;
He chastens and hastens his will to make known;
The wicked oppressing now cease from distressing,
Sing praises to his name: He forgets not his own.

Beside us to guide us, our God with us joining,
Ordaining, maintaining his kingdom divine;
So from the beginning the fight we were winning;
Thou, Lord, wast at our side, All glory be thine!

We all do extol thee, thou leader triumphant,
And pray that thou still our defender wilt be.
Let thy congregation escape tribulation;
Thy name be ever praised! O Lord, make us free!

Michael and I both sang in church today with a group preforming this hymn. The arrangement was from the Hymplicity books which are fabulous. They take the hymn and create a piano arrangement. The group sings from the hymnbook with a verse guide, such as men or women only, or parts only, or women singing soprano, men on alto, or other variations. They are very fun and easy for a ward choir that has limited talent or time to prepare musical numbers.

I was reminded of my love of Thanksgiving and the hymns of Thanksgiving. I often have debates with others about the "taboo" to listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. I personally think it is a ridiculous thing to argue about. I have never felt that listening to Christmas before Thanksgiving ruins my enjoyment of this unique North American holiday. YES my US friends, it is a North American holiday. Canadians celebrate it too, but they were smart enough to place the date the 2nd Monday of October. Closer to a true celebration of Harvest than when we celebrate it. (At least that is my opinion). I feel blessed to have lived in both countries and often as a family we have 2 Thanksgivings every year. It is a great time to remember the blessings that God has given us, and what a treasure of a land we live in.

Since I love Christmas music so much, and have come to cherish the Hymns of Thanksgiving just as much. When I was ward chorister in Wisconsin and started to plan the music, (my Branch president like me to have the music ready quartely, and often I would have it planned out for the year), I started to do Thanksgiving music the first Sunday in November. Just like I think it is a travesty to not sing Christmas music until the 2nd or 3rd week of December, (yes I have seen that happen,) or not sing it in Relief Society because tradition says we need to sing to match the topic, or my least favorite excuse to not sing Christmas: "is Joseph Smith's birthday so we need to sing of him," we need to celebrate and sing about Thanksgiving for more that just the Sunday before Thanksgiving. It adds to the month for me and reminds be continually grateful for all that we have been blessed.

Today was we sat through Sacrament meeting and listening to talks on gratitude and all the "good" things we have been blessed with, it occurred to me that paying tithing can bring Thanksgiving to us every time we hand that sacred money over to the church. Giving our tithing is that way to share our gratitude to the Lord for all he blessed and continues to bless us with. I have always tried to pay tithing with a willing heart, because it is giving back to the lord, but I have never thought or at least consciously thought of paying with a grateful heart. I can say today, that I learned something as I was preparing myself to teach a primary lesson on tithing. I don't know if the children walked out of the class learning anything about the sacredness of tithing, but I know I was taught by the spirit today on how to give in gratitude.
I am very, very grateful for that special quiet moment and how I was instructed by the gentle whisperings of the Spirit.

No comments: