Welcome to Tigersue's Jungle. Here you may find a Jungle of thoughts and idea's. You may never know what you will find!
Yes, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints! I am a wife, a mother, a sister, and a friend.

Monday, March 23, 2009

Paralyzing Dreams?

Have you ever had a paralyzing dream? I have, I didn't know it had a name until the other day. They are horrible, the worst things that ever happen to me. There has only been one time that it has happened when Michael was home, the rest of the time I am home alone. They started when I was in college, were really bad in one of the apartments we lived in in Wisconsin, and have been infrequent since. Of course the infrequency could be because I rarely take a nap unless someone is home because that is when I usually have them, in the middle of the day.

I wake up, but I can't move, can't talk, and I feel like there is an evil presence in the room. Most of the time, this presence masks itself as someone I know, since my marriage it has almost always seemed to be Michael, once it was my dad, in college I don't recall. Most of the time I feel as if the presence wants to attack me, "take over my body". I can't call for help, I can't move or open my eyes. It seems to take forever to "wake up" and when I do I am exhausted physically and spiritually.

Today I was doing some research because I thought I saw something in a book on adrenal fatigue about paralyzing dreams so I wanted to see if there was a connection.

I didn't find a connection, but I did find a physical reason for this phenomena. The body apparently producing a chemical that paralyzes the body during REM sleep. This is to keep us from acting out our dreams. Usually it works, (not always, ask Michael about my hitting him in the chest one night.) and the chemical wears off before you awaken. I also wonder if this same chemical produces an amnesia effect so we don't remember dream unless you waken at the end of them? So it seems that sometimes we can wake up before this chemical wears off and you are still paralyzed and can't move. This explains that, but it does not explain the feeling of malevolence in the room. I still think there is a spiritual connection.

Is it possible that the veil is thin while we sleep? I believe that evil and good spirits around us to either tempt us or help guide us throughout our life. The evil ones want our body because of their rebellion against God they will never have that gift that we are granted. So, if we wake and the veil is thin enough that we can feel those spirits wishing to take over, but unable to because of the protection we are granted, could that explain both side, the science and the spiritual?

It makes sense to me. What do you think. Have you ever had this happen to you? If so do you feel more comfort in knowing that there is a scientific reason to this experience?

2 comments:

Salgado said...

Yes, a very similar series of experiences keep happening to me too. At times they start as dreams of people I know or used to know but passed on. In some of my dreams I see one of my grandparents, for example, but when I realize they're supposed to be dead, they usually turn to me and looked me in the eye with a very evil feeling about it. Then the whole dream takes into a whole new dimension when the paralyzing episode begins. I then hear a very loud sound, like a freight train going a thousand miles an hour; my head is shaking and I'm sreaming to the top of my lungs but no one can hear me! I'm aware of my surroundings but I'm physically paralyzed. Then I really wake up. My heart is pounding and I sense some one or something evil in my room. When I try to recall the dream and convince myself that it was just a dream, I get shivers down my spine. It's very hard to fall back asleep right after an episode like that. A couple of nights ago, I had the worst of those dreams. I was sound asleep and all of a sudden, I heard this super loud noise, as if an airplane had crashed. I then became aware of the situation and realized I was dreaming but now I'm awake, however, I was paralyzed and couldn't actually wake up my body. I had the feeling that something was taking me our of my body and I kept hearing the same "freight train" noise again--this time louder--and I felt as if my body was being lifted from my bed. At some point I felt as if my eyes were open and I could see my bedroom and all the details in it but from a different vantage point. I tried to scream for help but actual sound would come out of my mouth. I felt this dream lasted a lot longer than the previous ones. Just moments before I actually woke up, I could see some kind of shadow moving about in the room by my bed. It looked like a swirl of black smoke but somewhat dissipated--like ashes floating around but with a definite shape nonetheless! It's very interesting to me to hear that often times people pray right after weaking up from such scary "dreams." I'm not a religious person, although I was brought up Catholic. But lately I've been having lots of doubts about the actual purpose of all religions in the world, including Christianity. However, every time I go through an episode of this kind, I repeat the Lord's Prayer several times and I get a feeling of peace and tranquility. I know it sounds weird coming from a skeptic but that's what calms me down. Call it self brainwashing or something else perhaps, all I know is that every time I go through one of these terrifying episodes praying is the only thing that makes me fall back to sleep in a normal fashion for the rest of the night. Anybody had a simlilar experience?

Salgado said...

Yes, a very similar series of experiences keep happening to me too. At times they start as dreams of people I know or used to know but passed on. In some of my dreams I see one of my grandparents, for example, but when I realize they're supposed to be dead, they usually turn to me and looked me in the eye with a very evil feeling about it. Then the whole dream takes into a whole new dimension when the paralyzing episode begins. I then hear a very loud sound, like a freight train going a thousand miles an hour; my head is shaking and I'm sreaming to the top of my lungs but no one can hear me! I'm aware of my surroundings but I'm physically paralyzed. Then I really wake up. My heart is pounding and I sense some one or something evil in my room. When I try to recall the dream and convince myself that it was just a dream, I get shivers down my spine. It's very hard to fall back asleep right after an episode like that. A couple of nights ago, I had the worst of those dreams. I was sound asleep and all of a sudden, I heard this super loud noise, as if an airplane had crashed. I then became aware of the situation and realized I was dreaming but now I'm awake, however, I was paralyzed and couldn't actually wake up my body. I had the feeling that something was taking me our of my body and I kept hearing the same "freight train" noise again--this time louder--and I felt as if my body was being lifted from my bed. At some point I felt as if my eyes were open and I could see my bedroom and all the details in it but from a different vantage point. I tried to scream for help but actual sound would come out of my mouth. I felt this dream lasted a lot longer than the previous ones. Just moments before I actually woke up, I could see some kind of shadow moving about in the room by my bed. It looked like a swirl of black smoke but somewhat dissipated--like ashes floating around but with a definite shape nonetheless! It's very interesting to me to hear that often times people pray right after weaking up from such scary "dreams." I'm not a religious person, although I was brought up Catholic. But lately I've been having lots of doubts about the actual purpose of all religions in the world, including Christianity. However, every time I go through an episode of this kind, I repeat the Lord's Prayer several times and I get a feeling of peace and tranquility. I know it sounds weird coming from a skeptic but that's what calms me down. Call it self brainwashing or something else perhaps, all I know is that every time I go through one of these terrifying episodes praying is the only thing that makes me fall back to sleep in a normal fashion for the rest of the night. Anybody had a simlilar experience?