Welcome to Tigersue's Jungle. Here you may find a Jungle of thoughts and idea's. You may never know what you will find!
Yes, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints! I am a wife, a mother, a sister, and a friend.

Monday, February 23, 2009

My Mother, how I love her.

My Mother Age 15





My Parents the day Michael and I were Married

My Mother holding little Abbie when she was about 3 months old.


If you missed it I wrote a post on my Dad last month. I had started it, and then finished it a few days later so it got lost in a few posts, you can find it here.


I can honestly say I love my mother to pieces. She is such a wonderful woman and I am ashamed to admit that as I child I didn't appreciate her as much. (At least I don't think I did.) Not that I didn't love her, because I did, I was a daddy's girl plain and simple.
I remember being afraid of her, but as an adult I realize that was because she was the one taking care of us kids while dad was gone, not just the usual day to day care while he was at the office, but those long weeks when he was working out in the field. It must have been hard on her to be alone as much as she was. I don't think it was as much as my brain tells me it was, but I know it was enough, because I would cry every time he left.

I remember her working so hard on our little house in Calgary. She would make it fun for Cindy and I when she was working on the floors in the dining room and kitchen by moving the chairs in the living room and we would make tents with our blankets, or play school (before we were in school of course), and play banking. I remember her washing the windows, I can't even say I have ever completely washed the windows in my house I admire her more than I can say.

I remember her working out in her rock flower gardens, and the little flower boxes that were under the windows of our house. I remember the birthday parties she would give, and the good she would do for others around our neighborhood.

When we moved to Provo, she started to work part time at a children's store, and that helped buy Cindy and I the clothes we needed for school, and eventually all the baby stuff she needed for Celeste, and later Michael and I used the crib for all 4 of our children, and the highchair for both Natasha and Collin.

I think I started to really appreciate my mom when I was a teenager. Maybe it was because at that age, she could actually have conversations with me that were not so childlike? Sounds funny doesn't it?
I remember her surprising me clothes twice in that time period. My mom would scout the mall often. Not so much shop but wait for good deals and clothes to go on sale, and she would wait for the right price. If is sold before, oh well, then we didn't need it. In that way she managed to keep her kids in nice clothes. Not brand name stuff but good quality with wear in them.

At the start of my sophomore year in high school we had gone clothes shopping, and I found a shirt that I loved. It was a satiny type that shimmered, with soft stripes, slightly pink, and with a small ribbon around the neck. I really wanted that blouse, but it was out of our budget. It was okay, I had some nice clothes, so I didn't mind. Mom must have remembered how much I wanted that shirt, and had gone to the mall frequently over the next week or two to watch and see if it went on sale. I came home from school one day and there it was on my bed. I was so happy, and it was the shirt I wore for school pictures that year.

She did it another time, probably after my first year in college because I lost some weight and I spotted a gunny sax dress that I liked. (do you remember those, this was about the time they were going out of popularity) It was dark navy blue and had a lovely lace collar. I remember it being one of the first dresses I felt very nice in. Still it was expensive as those dresses were, and I knew there was no way we could afford it. I came home one day, and there it was on my bed! Talk about jumping up and down for joy. I think I was still wearing that dress when I met Michael but the Lace was starting to wear out and didn't last much longer.

She sacrificed so much time for us kids, wrote letters to my brother on his mission, and planned weddings, and how she pulled them off with limited budgets I have no idea? I remember her cutting out clothes on her hands and knees for my sister's boys. The shirts were not a hard pattern to make, and I know she made dozens of shirts over a few years. Anyone that has had to kneel on a floor to cut out fabric would know the pain in the back that she would have had after such endeavors. The fun of it was going around to fabric stores to look for the right kind of fabrics and ribbing to make the shirts that was fun! When I turned 16 she surprised me with this beautifully made skirt and blouse to match. They were made of pink material, and loved that outift. I loved it so much it still is hanging in my closet even though I will never be able to fit in it again. I wore the blouse for my Junior year picture, and wore the outfit to anything that I had to wear a dress for. I concidered it my best dress and I really loved it.

Then she supported me in nursing school. She and dad would come pick me up on the occasional weekend to bring me home. They helped me with food, and expenses the first year since my dad didn't want me to work and keep my scholarship. He felt that earned more money than working would. My clarinet was my job you could say. :)

The second year they helped as much, but it was nice knowing that I had worked the summer as an LPN and was able to pay for all my housing and most of my books, and I tried to live frugally on my monthly allowance, and was usually able to stretch the money they gave me so they wouldn't have give me money every month.

She went to my concerts, took me to piano and clarinet lessons, and somehow they sacrificed so I could study under David Randall at BYU. It was a sacrifice for her to do it, and I love her for it.

When Michael and I moved to WI, I missed my mother, but we talked often on the phone. I had discovered I was expecting Natasha days before we moved, and when I opened one of my boxes she had placed a few blankets she had made inside the chest without my knowledge. A care bear blanket she made, and knitted one that I always loved, orange and yellow in color.

She would send me packages fairly often, both when I was School and when we lived in WI.
Some of the packages contained, a sweat suit to jog in, a couple of maternity dresses because in WI we could not find a suitable maternity dress for church, some cross stitch material and patterns that started me cross stitching.

When she came to visit us after I had Natasha she stayed with us about 6 weeks and it was so fun to have her visit. She came with loads of clothes, and my Dad picked out Natasha's blessing dress, a cute little ruffly pink thing with a bonnet. She was with us the first time Natasha threw her first temper tantrum at (2 weeks old! no joke), and her first smile was witnessed by the three of us.

Can you tell I love my mom!

She loves all of her children and grandchildren, and tries her best to do what she can for them, and share what she can. I have seen her pay her grandsons for the work they have done around her house for my dad. I have heard the joy in her voice as she talked about the fun times she has had.

I have watched her, with her sister, clean out her parents home after they were both gone from this life, and put the house up for sale.

She truly is the best of women, and I hope I can continue to learn much from her. I wish my brother would treat her better and call and go see her once in awhile. I know I plan to take my girls to see her this week because they love grandma and grandpa.

She taught me to cook, to clean (yup chores), to do embroidery, to love puzzles, and a love for her parents! I have watched her serve in church callings, willingly. I have seen her be a friend to many, and I am grateful that I can call her friend as well as Mother. She is a woman to be honored and I do honor her.
I love you Mom.

No comments: