Welcome to Tigersue's Jungle. Here you may find a Jungle of thoughts and idea's. You may never know what you will find!
Yes, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints! I am a wife, a mother, a sister, and a friend.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Why I despise the Biggest Looser

I have never really watched the biggest looser. I think I have probably watched a total of 15 minutes the entire time it has been on. Last night, as I was trying decide what to watch while I did some cross stitching, the Biggest Looser was on. I was disgusted. Not at the people, or the obesity, but how one was treated. I was appalled and so angry, I had to switch the channel.
The lady in question, has lost 2 pounds the week before. Instead of elation, at this loss, she was berated, put down, made to feel inferior, and less as a human being.

I was angry, really.

I am a woman that has worked hard in the past to loose weight, and fail to maintain it. It is not easy for women in general, and if you tack on any one of several endocrine issues, (like my PCOS), loosing weight is down right near impossible. I have to work 4 times as hard as the normal obese/overweight woman just to loose 1/4 of a pound. I'm not joking. I don't know how many times I joined weight watchers, and in a given month I would be lucky to loose 1/4 pound. I would be elated for a 2 pound a week weight loss. I would be jumping up and down for joy. Not this woman, she was in tears.

Last night she hoped for a double digit loss, what did she get 6, six pounds!!!!!!!! What was her face like? Pure disappointment. Instead of celebrating a 6 pound loss she was afraind of letting her team down again.

It is shameful that people are treated this way. As an obese woman, that is why I don't watch. Beside the advantage that men naturally have at loosing weight, it sets impossibly high goals for women, who are already have to work harder to loose weight, and put on muscle, which, duh, weighs more than fat. I don't know if they measure inches or muscle gain on the show. Frankly, I don't care. What little bit I saw last night, turned me off of it forever. I thought it was to inspire people to loose weight, but if the smallest loss is rediculed, rather than celebrated as success, I don't know how it manages to stay on the air.

No comments: