Welcome to Tigersue's Jungle. Here you may find a Jungle of thoughts and idea's. You may never know what you will find!
Yes, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints! I am a wife, a mother, a sister, and a friend.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day.

Honestly, I heard the Bells on Christmas Day is NOT one of my favorite carols. In fact, I find I can often do without singing it. Not that I don't like the words, I do, I DISLIKE the tune. Trust me huh. I have heard an arrangement on Sally Deford's site that I do like. Go here to listen. You have to click on either dial up or highspeed and it will bring up your music player to listen.

Here is a link to the story about the poem, also stating that Longfellow's son Charles did not die that Christmas year the poem was writen. So enjoy reading the story. IT is a bit cluttered wtih other stuff, but if you get through that, it is a good read.


I heard the bells on Christmas day
Their old familiar carols play
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth
Peace on earth
I thought how as the day had come
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song
Of peace on earth
Peace on earth
Peace on earth
, good will to men
And in despair I bowed my head
"There is no peace on earth," I said
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth
Peace on earth
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep
"God is not dead, nor doth he sleep
The wrong shall fail,
the right prevail
With peace on earth
Peace on earth
"Till ringing, singing on its way
The world revolved from night to day
A voice, a chime,
a chant sublime
Of peace on earth
Peace on earth
Peace on earth,
good will to men
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

No comments: