Welcome to Tigersue's Jungle. Here you may find a Jungle of thoughts and idea's. You may never know what you will find!
Yes, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints! I am a wife, a mother, a sister, and a friend.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Woman To Woman: Book Review










We're reviewing and sharing our thoughts on books; any fiction or mystery that you've read in the last 3 months is fine!



Can you believe that this is a hard topic for me. Then again, if you like to read as much as I do, then narrowing down the choice of a book to review is just as hard for you. At the beginning of the year, I took on a personal challenge to read 100 books or 25,000 pages in a year. Silly me it took me about 3 or 4 months to really start reading but I am almost to my goal. I have logged 53 books on my book site, I have read books I love, and I have tackled some challenging books that have taken thought and effort to plow through. I feel I have opened my horizons just a bit in doing this. I am not a reader of biographies, or everyday fiction. I am not really into romance, but I love some, and fantasy I can give or take. I think I am a bit eclectic in that area. If it has a great story, I will read it, if the characters are rich, engaging and real I love it even more. Before I get in to the book I have selected, I want to list again some of my favorites.


Katherine Kurtz and her Deryni books, they are fantasy but not like most you read. Her stories are full of conflict, and no one is perfect. The setting is familiar, it could be our ancestors past if we let ourselves imagine it as so.

Lynn Kurland, some of the sweetest bit of romance you will ever get your hands on to read. The Heroes and Heroines all have their strengths and weaknesses. No one is perfect, but each couple seems to suit each other as a good romance should.

A Little Princess, Anne of Green Gables are treasures that should be any one's library.
Again if you would like to see a list of what I have read go to Tigersue's Bookshelf.
Forgive the grammar mistakes, the reviews are just quick write ups so I can refresh my memory on what I like or don't like. The ratings are based on what I love, not necessarily the quality or depth of writing.

On with the book review.

The Chosen,


by Chiam Potok has been one of my most favorite books I have ever read. This man has a way of touching upon subjects that I would never consider in a depth of emotion I still am amazed at. This book is a gem, not necessarily the best he wrote, but if someone wants to read an intriguing story this is a good one to start with.
The Chosen is a story of two Jewish boys, each raised a different way that become friends under unlikely circumstances. They are both brilliant, and seeking to make their way in the world, one with choices many and one who feels locked and trapped in expectation.
What transpires is a fascinating look at how the interaction of others can influence the lives of the main characters. I have not read as many books that have impacted the way I look at the world as this book has. I would recommend this book to anyone, and I personally gone through 3 copies of the book with how many times I have read it. I have read most of Chaim Potok's book at some time in my life, and this one will always be my favorite.
I have not read it in the past year, but I could not think of a book of quality that I could write on that I have not done so in the past few weeks. I give the Chosen 5 out of 5 bookmarks, and it will easily be in my top 5 favorite books.


If you would like to join in, write your review and then post your link on Mr. Linky at My Many Colored Days and Morning Glory, then go and read some of the other reviews written. You never know you might find something new to read.

No comments: