Welcome to Tigersue's Jungle. Here you may find a Jungle of thoughts and idea's. You may never know what you will find!
Yes, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints! I am a wife, a mother, a sister, and a friend.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Woman to Woman: Gratitude




There are some ideas that I have been taught about gratitude. I can’t say most of them had an impact, but one. That is to not have a grateful heart is a sin. That concept tortured me for years. At one time in my life, and for several years, for many different reasons, from postpartum depression, to chemical depression caused by medication I needed to take, I struggled with the thought I had an ungrateful heart. I wanted to be able to stop working, I wanted financial stability, and I wanted more children, I was happy to live in a home, to have two wonderful children and a great husband. I felt burdened with guilt because I thought I was so unthankful for all the wonderful blessings I had been granted for so many years. Then one day, when reading my scriptures I came upon this verse,

Alma 7:23

23 And now I would that ye should be ahumble, and be bsubmissive and gentle; easy to be entreated; full of patience and long-suffering; being temperate in all things; being diligent in keeping the commandments of God at all times; asking for whatsoever things ye stand in need, both spiritual and temporal; always returning thanks unto God for whatsoever things ye do receive.

I felt this burden lifted from my shoulders as I realized that it is not an ungrateful heart that desires more of the good things in life. To desire those things that bring joy and comfort to a heart is precious, as long as we are continually grateful for the gifts already given it is not a sin to want more. God wants to bless us in so many ways.

Gratitude is this week’s topic for Woman to Woman.

Today for Woman to Woman we're taking a few moments out of our busy days to reflect on our blessings and the things which we are grateful for. I think that for many people, 9/11 was an eye opener. It's helped us to realize that there are a great many things that we take for granted. Please join us today for some introspection and share with us 11 things that you are thankful for. It feels so good to give reverence to such a pivotal day in our history by recognizing the good things of the world. Please share 11 things you are grateful for and the reasons why.

1. The Savior Jesus Christ He is my Saviour, the being that allows us all to return to our Father in Heaven. Because of his great love for us, his sacrifice, that I can in no way comprehend, there is a purpose and a meaning to all I do in this life.

2. My Husband, he loves me despite my faults, and struggles. He is always there for me even when I don’t want to talk and shove all my pain and sorrow deep inside. He loves me for who I am, even when I don’t love myself so much. He is my rock and my anchor in this life.

3. My children, they are wonderful, good kids. There is absolutely nothing I did to make them they way they are. They are who they are, because of that sweet spirit they already have been given by someone much more loving than I. They love their mother no matter how angry she gets, or how sad. I know they like me best when I am happy and fun, but I am not always that way. I am more complete because of the blessing I have been given to have them in my home.

4. The rest of my family, from parents, and siblings, in-laws, aunts and uncles from all sides that are happy to see me, pray for me and can make me laugh despite my solemn moods.

5. Music, where would I be with out the soul inspiring music I love. I have not played my clarinet for years, it was a life line for me for so long, and I really, really miss not being part of an organization, to let my soul sing through my talent. I was just released as the primary pianist in my ward. I will miss hearing the voices of children every week, but it is time to move on and let someone else have the pleasure of this calling.

There is nothing like listening to Handel’s Messiah, or the Patriotism of The Star Spangled Banner. All music that is good, lovely, and wonderful sends chills through my spine that I never forget. It is a gift I shall always be grateful to have been blessed with.

6. Genealogy, I am not the best and researching my family lines, but I have a love for everyone one of the people I find information on. I cry when I am able to perform the saving works for those that have gone before. Without their many sacrifices I would not be who I am today.

7. Laughter, I love to laugh. It has been far and few between the past few years but every precious moment is a balm of healing that can not be taken away.

8. The USA and Canada, okay two in one here, but I have a love for both my homes. I was not born in Canada, but I love the country with all my heart. When ever I hear a snide or critical remark I want to yell. I feel that same about the USA, born here, but I had to learn to love this country as an immigrant just the same. It took several years, but this is a blessed land and if we as a people do not learn to honor those that fought for the freedoms we have, it will be gone before we know it. Never, Never, EVER forget what has been done that we may live in relative peace and safety.

9. I have few friends. I am not someone that seems to keep friends. I blame it on me for the most part. I don’t call, I don’t write, and I guard my heart from pain and hurt. Those I have and trust are few and far between but they are a treasure that I am afraid I take too much for granted on a daily basis.

10. BOOKS, what would I do if I couldn’t read. Go crazy I guess.

11. Indoor Plumbing….. Need I say more!

No comments: