Welcome to Tigersue's Jungle. Here you may find a Jungle of thoughts and idea's. You may never know what you will find!
Yes, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints! I am a wife, a mother, a sister, and a friend.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Congressman Chris Cannon puts his foot in his mouth!

I wanted to post on this last weekend but was unable to and then I forgot until a little while ago.
Utah's 3rd congressional district representative stated, "That no Utahn works for Minimum wage, and if they do go get a job at McDonalds."

What is up with that. I know he did not vote for an increase in the minimum wage, but saying that is just absurd. My daughter started at minimum and after 3 months got a huge raise of.... about 15 cents.

I will say that minimum wage is not meant to be a living wage, but come on even and increase to that 7$ an hour or a bit more would hardly qualify as living in this day and age. 20 years ago, I started as an RN at 9.00 an hour, rather pathetic in today's standard, but today that can't even help a family in Utah county to have a home. My husband has to work 2 jobs to keep us in our home, I have no clue how others do it with a much lower salary. It just goes to show that this man has no clue what the real working class does or earns in today's economy.

This is not to say I am for or against an increase in the minimum wage. I am not an economist, and I don't know all the ins and outs of it all. Still it must be time for an increase, it has been several years since there has been one. You would think they could come up with an easier way to calculate it out?

No comments: