Welcome to Tigersue's Jungle. Here you may find a Jungle of thoughts and idea's. You may never know what you will find!
Yes, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints! I am a wife, a mother, a sister, and a friend.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Vinegar Bottles

I can thank a wonderful friend and neighbor for teaching a Homemaking class on preparing your own flavored vinegar bottles. A few years ago this became a HUGE hobby for me and I made bottles galore! I just started to make some more today to refresh my supply since I hadn't been so responsible in keeping them filled they finally went.... well down the drain.

If you would like to make a good basic vinegar bottle here is what I do for the one I use the most.

You need one good glass bottle, hopefully sealable with a cork. You don't want to use metal as the vinegar can corrode it. You want to wash and sterilize the bottle. I have washed mine in the dishwasher with a high heat setting, that seems to work well.
Gather a variety of herbs you like. I use, rosemary, thyme, basil, sage, tarragon. If you like oregano go for it. Just gather what you think sounds good in a combination. Be sure to wash what ever you put in well.
I put in the bottle two or three sliced garlic cloves, if they are small you can just slide them into the bottle.
1/2 tsp peppercorns
1 stalk green onion
1 small slice or lemon or lime. (You may need to slightly dehydrate it to get it to roll into the bottle.)
place the herbs in the bottle to taste. Generally 1 or 2 sprigs of rosemary and thyme, a few leaves of the sage, 1 sprig of basil. What ever strikes your fancy. There is no right or wrong to this.
To help place them in you can use bamboo skewers.
Then I pour either white wine or red wine vinegar over it. Let it sit for 2 weeks to let the flavors infuse before using.

I just add more vinegar after each use to continue the flavor infusion until the flavor goes bland then I use up the rest of the vinegar, empty the bottle and start all over.
This works great in making meat dishes, sauces, and homemade salad dressings.
I have used this in slow cooking roasts. It is great in Italian sauces, meatloaf, and chicken dishes. It is very yummy.
I usually make two bottles, one of each type of wine vinegar.

Look for more vinegar ideas in the coming week!

No comments: