Welcome to Tigersue's Jungle. Here you may find a Jungle of thoughts and idea's. You may never know what you will find!
Yes, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints! I am a wife, a mother, a sister, and a friend.

Friday, March 10, 2006

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

I finally was able to see Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire last night. For the most part I enjoyed the movie, and I could see they tried to do a good job of a book that had a great deal of story line. That being said, I did miss how Harry got to the Weasley's home, and I missed Dobby and Winky, and of course all the very, very important stuff at the end of the book that sets up the next story. I wouldn't have minded a bit of a longer movie just for the important details. I also missed Harry giving his winning to Fred and George to open the joke shop. So guess if someone that hasn't read the books wouldn't pick up on those missing details, I know I was trying to fill Michael in on some of it last night. Sort of a tough task when there is so much to remember!

5 comments:

The Daring One said...

I finally watched it last night too. My husband and I were saying that it was a little disappointing and the whole movie was like a flashback of the book but didn't really capture the essence or the storyline.

A successful flim adaptation should be able to stand on its own. I still think #3 was the only one that really succeeded.

Tigersue said...

I happen to Love Book 3, it is my favorite to read.

Noelie said...

Logic has me kindly disagreeing :-)

Everyone thinks their favorite moments as what makes a story: example I ADORE I mean really adore Bishop Bienvenue in "Les Miserables" hence the funny quote of my friend Ish on the force.net boards. However as much as I love this character and the fact that what he is, does in great deal reflect on the rest of the book, for a movie you can only imply at that influence.

I for some reason am able to go to the movie and try to understand the photographic journey, cliff note version of the book it is trying to express. IMHO opinion, while there have been moments that has me questioning the DIRECTING of the Harry Potter movies, for instance Dumbledore in this last movie going a little bizarre at Harry's name being on the list, they have done a GREAT job of expressing what is the ESSENTIAL story.
All your little favorite moments cannot be there. We do have to give them credit and become a little more grown up about that, and try to figure out for ourselves what is eseential to the story rather than what we wish.
I really don't mean to chew. Just call me hormonal, but when I hear ideas that they didn't "succeed" I have to speak up and say they did fine. They succeeded as well as anyone could, given that you have a small frame of time to work with.

Tigersue said...

I liked the movie, I just wondered at them not putting in the stuff that sets up the Order of the Pheonix. Most of the little stuff I don't mind being gone, we knew it would be hard with this book with how big it was, so I enjoyed the main thrust of the book. Like you I was wondering about the Dumbledore thing too, that was a bit out of character, and strange. It's just the follow up, what everyone is doing, and going, and Snape and Sirius there together in the same room. Leaves alot of exposition for the next movie, and you know how actors hate "exposition".. :)
Each movie that leaves out that little bit of information makes me wonder where they are going to fill it in later. It helps when you have read the books and know all the ins and outs, but someone like Michael, I have to fill it in for him, and he is Ohhhhhh, I get it now.

Tigersue said...

Oh the thing that made me the most sad......
You guessed it, NO John Williams music....

A Harry Potter movie with out John Williams? Sigh, I really can't have it all, can I. ;)